Walkera Scout X4 vs DJI Phantom 2
photo credit: https://tasview.wordpress.com/
The DJI Phantom 2 and the Walkera Scout X4 are going to be the hottest RTF quadcopters on the market this holiday season so we wanted to put together a full list so you can learn about all the different specs and how they match up. We wanted to keep this fairly high level so you can get the essential information you need to make an informed decision on which model you decide to end up with.
For this comparison we are going to focus on the DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal for the GoPro as we feel this will be the most comparable model. If you aren’t familiar with the different DJI phantom models then go ahead and check out our overview here. On the other side we will be comparing this model with the Walkera Scout X4 RTF version. For both models you will need to purchase a GoPro separately to get the results we talk about and is the common denominator as it provides the best video quality.
The general TLDR of this post is summed up by the Walkera Scout X4 is more powerful than the Phantom and also comes with some more goodies. That being said it is also more expensive.
First let’s see what is included in the box.
In The Box
The Walkera Scout X4
As you can see from the boxing this comes with everything you need to get started. The pice that is pretty cool is the controller that the Scout X4 comes with – it is a Devo F12E that has an LCD screen on it for FPV. What this means is that you will be able to fpv without the need for an iOS or Android device like the Phantom 2. You can literally open everything up and fly FPV right out of the box (of course you will have to have the the GoPro as well). As you can see from the pictures it comes with all the essentials.
We will get into how all these things work together in the next section.
The DJI Phantom 2 with Zemuse Gimball
The DJI Phantom 2 with the Gimball comes with everything you need to fly with as well. It comes with all the essentials. The thing that it doesn’t include is the GoPro as we mentioned before.
Features & Differences
These two models are very similar but the Walkera Scout X4 has a few extra features than the Phatom 2. Here we will highlight the differences.
1. The Walkera comes with a retractable landing gear. What this means is that once you are in the air with the Walkera you will be able to move the legs up and out of the view of the camera. This allows for a larger landing gear on the quadcopter to avoid any sort of tipping over when landing on an uneven surface. The Phantom owners have complained about this in the past. With DJI Phantom having a fixed landing gear it has to be small to stay out of the view of the camera.
2. FPV. The Walkera Scout X4 comes with the ability to FPV through the GoPro right out of the box. With it’s slick controller you will be able to see everything right there from what the GoPro is seeing. For the DJI Phantom you will need to purchase and install a bridge that will allow you to FPV. For viewing the FPV with the Phantom you will also need some sort of display which you usually need to purchase separately. Depending on the gear you go with sometimes you can use your iPhone or Android device. Again we are focusing on the Gimball version of the Phantom for GoPro – The DJI Phantom 2 Vision and Vision + come with the ability to FPV out of the box through your iOS or Android device.
The general consensus has been that doing FPV through a GoPro is historically a bit laggy which is why the true FPVers will use a second non GoPro camera to FPV for the fastest video link. This being said, with new technology coming out every day, the FPV from the GoPro is really pretty solid these days. As long as you aren’t flying at full speed through trees you should be fine.
3. Ground Station. The Walkera Scout X4 comes with this which basically allows you to control your flight path from an ipad that is on the ground. With the DJI Phantom you will need to purchase their Bluetooth Datalink in order to accomplish this same functionality.
4. Size & Power. As you can see from the photo at the top of this post the Walkera stands taller and is a bit larger than the Phantom 2. The overall review is that the Walkera is a bit more powerful than the Phantom as well. What this means for you: You will be able to be a little more agile with the Walkera and be able to power out of tight situations if you get into them!
5. Add Ons. The one really cool thing about the Scout X4 is that it allows you to add extra motors and rotors to increase it to 8 of each. This will give the quad more power and allow you to attach larger cameras. We think this is kind of a side note but interesting for sure! You will commonly see this setup referred to as the Scout X8.
As mentioned before the add on you will need for the Phantom is a bridge in order to FPV with the GoPro as well as a screen to view that with. We like the FatShark to do so as it comes with everything and is fairly easy to attach.
The rest of the stuff is pretty standard if you have been paying attention to the DJI Phantom recently. There are some cool features like GPS stability, and a really nice 25 minute battery life.
Both are fairly easy to learn how to fly. They come with instructions on how to fly and get thing started up. If you haven’t learned how to fly a quadcopter yet, we highly highly recommend you start with something small. After you learn to fly on that then either the DJI Phantom or the Walkera Scout X4 will be a breeze to fly since there is so much assistance of these advanced machines.
Companies & Readily Available information
Lucky for you, both of these companies have been building quadcopters for a while so you can trust the product that they have put out. DJI definitely has the upper hand when it comes to information out there regarding the Phantom. The Phantom has been out for over a year now so any sort of DIY or tutorials will be available at RCGroups and on many other websites. Since the Walkera Scout X4 is a new quadcopter, there definitely isn’t as much info available yet online. Once this model gets settled in as main stream we will start to see those, but expect to do a lot of digging to figure out solutions to any unanswered questions you have.
The most important part!
The new Scout X4 will run you $1,399 For updated pricing check here
The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Gimbal will run you $959
As we said at the beginning, we hope this gives you a high level overview of what you are getting yourself into with the purchase of either of these drones. What it comes down to is really what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more powerful platform with all accessories included then the Walkera is what you are looking for. If you are looking to start with an awesome proven platform that you can slowly add to?…then the DJI Phantom 2 is what you want. Overall in terms of just getting up and running… the DJI Phantom is a little more polished coming out of the box but the Scout has more features. You can’t go wrong with either of these!
Check out the Walkera Scout X4 Here for the most up to date pricing
Check out the DJI Phantom 2 Here for the most up to date pricing
So what model are you going to go with?